Go to nursing school people said, it would be fun they said. That’s what you thought until you enroll to nursing school. And you’ll realize life is not a piece of cake, but a piece of poop inside a patient’s diaper.
Well, I think our expectation versus reality will never be the same.
1. Expectation: You and your group goes to an overnight for a research work
Reality: Ended up working alone while everybody is sleeping or watching a movie.
2. Expectation: You’re oozing with confidence before the research defense
Reality: And stutters to explain when you’re in front of the panel
3. Expectation: Your clinical instructor believes you can recite and classify the medications of your patient while you’re in simulation duty.
Reality: Problem is… you don’t know anything about these drugs.
4. Expectation: You try your best to get a grade of A
Reality: still got 75 as final score
5. Expectation: You keep your shoes as white as possible
Reality: Ended up with a dirty one on just a few hours of duty.
6. Expectation: Alarms at 5 AM in the morning to prepare early
Reality: Snoozes the alarm 5 times and ended up late in class.
7. Expectation: You ask your mom and dad to buy those impenetrable and concentrated books of medical-surgical nursing, fundamental of nursing, physical assessment and all other kinds of gigantic books so you can study well.
Reality: You left them in the corner of your room to collect dust.
8. Expectation: You finally formulated the best and perfect nursing care plan ever!
Reality: Until your clinical instructor checked and saw a million mistakes.
9. Expectation: You memorize the step by step procedure written in the fundamental of nursing before the return demonstrations
Reality: Forget everything you memorized when you’re in front of your clinical instructor
10. Expectation: You promise to wake up early so you can’t miss your simulation duties
Reality: Ended up with more make-up duties because you’re late again.
11. Expectation: Dreams about fully participating in class to increase your score in participation
Reality: but your teacher caught you sleeping
12. Expectation: Planned to go out and party on weekends
Reality: but have to stay because you have requirements to do
13. Expectation: You passed an exam
Reality: and there are 5 more to go
14. Expectation: At the end of the day, you miss your bed and you’re looking forward to sleep
Reality: but you can’t just yet because you have many assignments to do.
15. Expectation: When you think your answers are all correct
Reality: but still everything went wrong.
16. Expectation: You have 10 assigned readings, and you scheduled to study them each night
Reality: Ended up reading nothing
A student nurse’s life was easy, said no nurse ever. So, cheers to those nurses who survived nursing school! And cheer-up nursing students who are still studying. You are never alone.
Click the comment section below to share your thoughts and your throwback experiences.